Wednesday, July 11, 2007

What Can a Realtor Do to Sell a Property?




In my last post, I mentioned the activity called "reverse prospecting." What is it? As a licensed agent who subscribes to the two local multiple listing services, I have the ability to identify other agents who have registered buyer clients who are a potential match for my listings.

I cannot read the identity of the buyer client, but I can read the name and contact information of the agent who is working with that buyer client; this is done through the MLS software. In this slower moving market, it is definitely a benefit to my seller client to be able to place a phone call to each of those listed agents, and draw their attention to the listing I am trying to sell.

When I am searching for a property for a buyer client, I am diligent in reviewing the MLS several times a day for new listings, and consider every single one with careful scrutiny. But guess what! Not all agents do this, take these extra steps to find the right property for their clients. So it is really important for a listing agent to make those phone calls to agents who might have the perfect buyer in their portfolio of clients.

A personal phone call will not only engage the buyer agent in conversation about the fact the listing EXISTS, but it can also answer questions about the property, clear up any misunderstandings about the listing, and otherwise eliminate objections to the property: "Doesn't that condo building forbid pets?" "That used to be the case, but two years ago the Board of Directors changed the by-laws, and now cats and small dogs are allowed!" "Wow, that's great news! My buyer client has a cat. I'll bet she would love to see the unit. When can we see it?" Not only have I aroused interest for my seller's property, I have alerted a buyer agent to a listing that might be his/her client's perfect next home.

And so, a showing! And maybe a buyer willing to make an offer to purchase! And all it took was a phone call. Enough said.

No comments: