Thursday, April 08, 2010

We Can't Hide the Truth From Clients


A few weeks ago, I posted on a social website (not on this blog) a brief reprise of a new study, widely cited in the media, that stated our American home VALUES will not return to their highest levels of a few years ago (think 2005 or so) until at least the year 2014, and probably 2019 in some extreme cases. My purpose in doing that was to raise awareness in buyers and sellers of real estate, awareness that "waiting for the house value to return to the 2005 level" means a looooooong wait for a seller. And for a buyer, it means that maybe this really is a great time to buy while prices are low, AS LONG AS the need for an owned home is present, and the buyer plans to be in that home for several years, minimally 4 or 5.
I was immediately chastised by a colleague in my market, someone whom I know on a personal level: chastised for demonstrating a negative message to the reading public, chastised for not pumping up the volume on a cheerful message about selling or buying a home right now as a fantastic plan. Period.

What is the quality of my service that I provide to my clients if I fail to educate them on the current market situation, and trends for the future? Is my job to sugar coat the facts? I don't think so. The facts might not be easy to accept, but the facts are real and do have an impact on a home buyer or seller as she makes choices and executes a plan to either buy or sell a property. To paint a picture that is only rosy instead of realistic does not speak well of me as a Realtor.

And that's all I wanted to say tonight. Other than I will do my job in the best way I know how - with honesty and integrity.

No comments: